The proverb saying “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” is very apt. Cooking good food and sharing meals binds us to our loved ones. Cooking is a great medium of cultural exchange, and it also provides us with joy and nourishment.
Food is the best means of communication, and it is also placed at the centre of all our cultural and family gatherings. The tradition of passing down recipes from one generation to another is the main secret behind humans mastering the art of cooking over time. Sometimes there is an intercultural exchange of recipes and the intermingling of cultures and spices, which brings an immense flavourful relish to our taste buds.
Well, there is nothing more distracting than an empty stomach. To keep the brain functioning fully while you are doing something that needs concentration, for example, if you play slots for fun, you need to fuel your mind and stomach with the right kind of food.
So here are a few names of foods that can help the gamers out there:
- The antioxidants in blueberries can keep you concentrated for at least 5 hours a day.
- The caffeine in green tea helps you stay alert and focused.
- Oily fish contains omega 3, which also helps to concentrate.
- Dark chocolate contains magnesium which is an excellent stress buster.
Food and Culture
The choice of food speaks a lot about an individual: lifestyle, history, values, beliefs and from where the person comes. As individuals, we grow up eating and adapting the food styles that we see around us.
Many may associate food to good memories and familial bonds which hold personal values for us. Food is the most crucial part of a culture. Cooking dishes from one’s own culture in a place distant from home is a symbol of the pride and ethnicity for many.
However, as people move away from their homelands, some mixing and matching of spices may take place as experiments to enhance the flavour of the food. Therefore, there are slight alterations in recipes with the passage of time.
Food is a portal to cultural bonds and unity. As connoisseurs of taste and flavour, we should be able to embrace other cultures through their dishes. Each dish holds a special significance in the history of flavours. Extensive studies have brought out the inter-cultural exchanges of eating habits all across the globe and their significance.
Maintaining a Healthy Food Chart Is Important for a Healthy Lifestyle
A balanced diet and healthy food habit is the key to good health. A good diet fulfils the nutritional needs of a body.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) recommends following a food pyramid. In recent times, nutrition science has changed, they now recommend eating foods from all the groups and building a balanced food chart. According to USDA’s recommendations, half of a person’s plate should consist of fruits and vegetables.
The deficit of nutrients in humans can cause an array of diseases. For example, 30% of the world’s population is at risk of developing iodine deficiency. It is estimated that at least 3 million children are blind due to vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin C deficiency results in scurvy. Kwashiorkor and Marasmus are childhood disorders caused by a lack of dietary protein.
The most important food groups are:
- Protein- Proteins are very important for a balanced diet. About a quarter of a diet should be made up of proteins. Some of the foods that include proteins are meat, fish, eggs, legumes, etc.
- Starch- Starchy food and carbohydrates provide the body with a lot of energy. Some of the starchy foods include potatoes, rice, bread, etc.
- Fats- Like most other nutrients, fat also makes up a crucial portion of our body. Milk, cheese, nuts, fatty fish, dark chocolate, etc. are excellent sources of fats. Dairy products provide an important section of micronutrients, including calcium, potassium and vitamin D.
- Fibre- Consumption of fibrous food is very important for the body. Women should consume 5 to 6 ounces per day, and men should have 6 to 8 ounces of fibrous food, with at least half being whole grain. Cereal flakes, carrot, barley, berries are rich in fibres.
- Fruits and vegetables- Leafy green, red and orange vegetables, and fruits are required to maintain a balanced diet. They provide important micronutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and fibre to the body.
Several types of research have brought out various health benefits of a balanced diet.
NHS Health Scotland, a national health education and promotion agency, has brought forth a study that shows the health benefits of eating well.
Some Concluding Thoughts
Any item that is listed to be consumed, whether it is processed or partially processed is food. But good food can only be spotted correctly by the ones who are looking forward to a healthy lifestyle.
According to studies conducted at Michigan State University, good food is the one that provides good nutrition, pocket-friendly, and the production of which is environment-friendly as well!
Food is said to affect both the mind and body. Just as good food provides us with proper nutrients, some foods are also said to contain compounds like Tryptophan (an amino acid that produces serotonin) that makes us feel happy. Binge eating while watching TV, playing online casino games at https://slotsfans.com/, etc. could add to your weight gain. Mindful eating is the solution to such problems.
Therefore it is important for one to choose food very wisely. Both our mental health and bodily health depend on it!