Recommended

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Why Conservatives Should Quit Trusting Politics

Sometimes I wonder if people who claim to be Conservatives even know or comprehend the true meaning of Conservatism.

Conservatism by its very definition is nonpartisan and only cares to uphold the following tenants:

  • Tradition
  • Human imperfection
  • Hierarchy
  • Authority
  • Monarchy
  • Property rights
  • Religion
  • Parliamentary government

Additionally, Quintin Hogg, the chairman of a British conservative party in the late 1950s, had this to say:

“Conservatism is not so much a philosophy as an attitude, a constant force, performing a timeless function in the development of a free society, and corresponding to a deep and permanent requirement of human nature itself.”

Who in today’s GOP genuinely falls under any of the above?

Yes. They are animated when it comes to quoting “Conservative” philosophies.

However, it doesn’t require too much intellect for one to see that Trump and the “Good Old Party” of today are nowhere close to being conservatives.

Those Who Push and Propagate Trump’s Agendas Are Not Middle-Class Conservatives

As this year’s tax season gets into full swing, it’s becoming abundantly clear that the so-called “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act” was merely a smooth and calculated way of giving more tax breaks to corporations and the upper class.

And despite the myth claiming that it was New York’s working-class folks who essentially voted Trump into the White House, it was actually the upper-middle to upper-class who ultimately helped Trump win the 2016 Presidential election – not the working-class.

The reality is, only 35 percent of Trump voters could have been considered blue-collar workers. The other 65 percent far from qualified as working-class, especially when it comes to New York voters.

To better understand this, the reader must first understand what defines the “working-class” or the “blue-collar” class.

According to information provided by CNBC, in a 2018 study conducted by Northwestern Mutual, the most recent data shows that nearly 70 percent of Americans define themselves as “middle-class.”

While some define being middle-class as someone who is “hardworking, thrifty and humble,” scholars measure it according to one’s salary.

And since the definition is often blurred, more Americans claiming to be middle-class actually are not according to their income.

The truth is, according to a report released by the Pew Research Center, only 50 percent of New Yorkers are truly middle-class.

And just to be clear, according to the Pew Research Center, qualifying as middle-class isn’t merely linked to annual income but the number of dependents living under one roof who are supported by that income.

For example, a three-person household (two spouses and a child) with an annual income of $45,000 to $135,000 annually is middle-class.

However, a family of four living in the New York-Newark-Jersey City metropolitan area with an annual income of $45,000 falls into the lower income tier, which comprises 31 percent of that area’s population.

And it’s this group – a group Trump and the GOP claim as their foundation – who feel the brunt of this absurd “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.”

They’re the ones who get hit by additional tax penalties and interest by both New York and the federal government because they can’t afford to pay the outrageous taxes. And what do the affluent do?   

The Well-To-Do Fleeing the Wealthiest City In the World

With over one million people living in New York worth $1 million or more, it has the most millionaires than any other place in the world. To put that in perspective, that’s roughly 21 percent of New York’s population.

But the thing is, people like Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore, both conservative economists, told CNBC that they predict a mass exodus of New York City’s wealthiest people in an attempt to escape paying the hike in taxes imposed by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

For those citizens who don’t live off of governmental support and actually work for a living, it will be nearly impossible to move. It costs a lot of money to move from one state to another. So while those wealthy voters who claim to be conservatives flee the mess they voted for, true conservatives are left to deal with the mess.

Though I belong to any political party, I am a true conservative.

Thus I don’t don’t vote because politics doesn’t care about liberalism or conservatism any more than using the two in order to swing votes in its favor.

Why do you think both political parties have evolved and changed over the generations? It’s because they do so depending on what group they feel has the most votes. But as for the ideologies themselves, those never change.

If you want to see where you’re at, the Pew Research Center provides this national calculator that can show where you are in the “distribution of Americans by income tier.”

; })();