Bachelor of Science or BSc is one of most popular undergraduate degree academic programme of science steam, which is offered by numerous universities and institutions across the India. After Engineering and MBBS, BSc course is opted by many students who have completed their class 12 in science stream. The course provides both theoretical and practical knowledge regarding Science subject. It broadens the academic horizons by offering a variety of specializations. Candidates, who have great appetite for scientific aptitude and research, can choose this course. The duration of BSc degree ranges from 3 to 4 years depending on the specialization. Pursuing BSc unlocks various and numerous options for ones` higher education. The candidate can pursue the course full time, part time or in a distance-learning mode.
BSc Course Highlights
Aspirants of BSc can have a glance at the highlights of BS
|Name of the Course||Bachelor of Science (BSc)|
|Courses offered||BSc Forensic Science , BSc Bioinformatics , BSc Physics, BSc Chemistry, BSc Mathematics, BSc Computer Science, BSc Zoology..etc|
|Duration of Programme||3 -4 Years|
|Admission Process||Merit Based
Entrance Exams Based
|Average Fee||INR 20, 000 – 2,00,00|
|Top Colleges||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad, Madras Christian College, Presidency University, Stella Maris College, Christ University|
|Top Entrance Exams||CUET UG, IISER, ICAR AIEEA, NEST|
|Scope for Career||Scope for Master’s Degree
Scope for Specialization Specific Job
|Average Salary||INR 3- INR 8 LPA|
The List of BSc Courses
Various BSc courses are listed in the table below.
|BSc PCM||BSc Agriculture|
|BSc Physics||BSc Animation|
|BSc Chemistry||BSc Aquaculture|
|BSc Maths||BSc Aviation|
|BSc Zoology||BSc Biochemistry|
|BSc Statistics||BSc Bioinformatics|
|BSc Botany||BSc Computer Science|
|BSc Home Science||BSc Dietetics|
|BSc Food Technology||BSc Electronic|
|BSc Forensic Science||BSc Fashion Technology|
|BSc Forestry||BSc Psychology|
|BSc Medical Technology||BSc Genetics|
|BSc Microbiology||BSc Information Technology|
|BSc Multimedia||BSc Interior Design|
|BSc Nautical Science||BSc Nutrition|
|BSc Nursing||BSc Physiotherapy|
Eligibility Criteria of Bachelor of Science
Candidates, who would like to pursue Bachelor of Science, should know the eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for BSc are as follows
- Candidates must have qualified in Class 12/ Intermediate in science stream from a recognized board.
- Students should have obtained at least 50% of marks. Candidates must note that the minimum percentage of marks may differ from the institution to institution.
- Candidates must have studied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in their Class 12 or Intermediate.
- In general, the age limit is not prescribed for BSc programme.
Top Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Science
Among all the BSc entrances, the top entrance exams are listed down.
- CUET UG (Common University Entrance Test UG)
- NEST (National Entrance Screening Test)
- ICAR AIEEA (Indian Council of Agricultural Research All India Entrance Examination for Admission)
- IISER Aptitude Test (Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research)
Admission Process of Bachelor of Science
The admission process of Bachelor of Science is conducted in two modes viz Merit Based Admission and Entrance Exam Based Admission.
BSc Admission Process- Merit Based:
- Some of the Universities and Colleges offer BSc admission based on marks secured by the candidates in Class 12.
- Those Universities and Colleges release the notification and invite the application forms.
- After that, these institutions release the course-wise cutoff marks.
- Applicants, who fulfill the eligibility criteria and cut off criteria, are offered admissions into their desired courses.
- Candidates must pay the admission fee to confirm the admission into the institute.
BSc Admission Process- Entrance Test Based:
- There are various Universities, Colleges and different Organizations which conduct the entrance exam.
- These institutions release the official notification inviting the applications for the specific courses of Bachelor of Science.
- Interested candidates must apply and submit the application form and pay the requisite fee.
- As per the announced dates, the entrance exam will be conducted.
- Later on, the results of the exam will be declared along with Cutoff marks or the merit lists.
- Candidates who have been shortlisted will be offered the admission.
Candidates who are going to pursue to BSc and want to lay strong foundation for their career must possess the skills set and traits, which are provided in the table below.
|Problem- Solving Skills||Observation Skills|
|Critical Thinking||Research Skills|
|Scientific Skills||Communication Skills|
|Mathematical and computational Skills||Interpersonal Skills|
|Logical Skills||Experimental Skills|
BSc as a Career
BSc graduates can find a number of jobs in various sectors like Health Care Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, Testing Laboratories, Space Research Institutes, Chemical Industry, Environmental Management and Conservation, Research Firms, Wastewater Plants, Forest Services, Oil Industry, Educational Institutions…etc. Some of the job profiles are listed down.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Forensic Pathologist||INR 4-6 LPA|
|Ecologist||INR 3-7 LPA|
|Scientist||INR 3-8 LPA|
|Scientific Assistant||INR 2-6 LPA|
|Research analyst||INR 3-6 LPA|
|Teachers||INR 3-6 LPA|
|Technical Writer/Editor||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Lecturers||INR 3-6 LPA|
|Chemist||INR 3-7 LPA|
|Enumerators||INR 2-4 LPA|
|Clinical Research Manager||INR 3-8 LPA|
|Consultant||INR 3-8 LPA|
|Software Developer||INR 3-7 LPA|
Why should you join the BSc Course for graduation?
- Government offers various scholarships to the bright students opting for BSc courses, and takes care of all the studying expenses. Some of the scholarships also cover expenses for the Masters if the candidate is willing to opt for the higher education.
- Employment Opportunities in Research and Development Fields are great in number. The government encourages students to pursue to BSc courses.
- BSc degree offers a promising and an abundance of career prospects after completion of the course.
- The scope of earning higher remuneration is higher when compared with the other stream graduates.
- There is a lot of scope for the higher education after completion of Bachelor of Science.