LISTEN TO TLR’S LATEST PODCAST:
Former Congressman Anthony Weiner, who resigned in 2011 over an earlier sexting scandal, will plead guilty Friday to charges of transferring obscene material to a minor, said USA Today.
The former Democrat Congressman from New York will appear in a federal courtroom in Manhattan to enter a guilty plea under an agreement with federal prosecutors, The New York Times, The Washington Post and other outlets reported.
The Times, quoting two people close to the situation, reported that Weiner will plead guilty to a single charge of transferring obscene material to a minor. According to the report, Weiner turned himself into authorities on Friday morning. This was following the announcement that prosecutors would be charging Weiner in the case.
The charges and investigation revolve around a 15-year-old North Carolina girl who told the Daily Mail, that she and Weiner exchanged lewd messages for several months. She also accused him of asking her to undress on camera, explained USA Today.
The sexting case even carried over into the 2016 presidential election when investigators, who seized Weiner’s laptop computer, found a cache of purportedly new emails that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton sent to her confidant Huma Abedin, Weiner’s wife. The emails had apparently been forwarded to the computer or transferred there for printing or storage, said USA Today.
The cache of emails prompted then FBI director James Comey to make his now infamous decision to reopen the previously closed investigation into Clinton’s alleged mishandling of classified material. A decision which came during the final push for Donald Trump and Clinton for the presidency.
Weiner, who is 52, is now facing a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison, but could involve no jail time depending on the determination of a judge. It could also potentially require Weiner to register as a sex offender, said USA Today.
Weiner also ran unsuccessfully for mayor of New York in 2013, but his campaign collapsed when he was found to be using the alias “Carlos Danger” to send explicit photographs to other women, explained USA Today.